Eindhoven University of Technology (Technische Universiteit Eindhoven ‐ TU/e) has a vacancy for a PhD Position in Operations Management (1.0 fte) for a Project in the Focus Area Stochastic Modeling and Optimization within the Operations, Planning, Accounting and Control (OPAC) Group of the School of Industrial Engineering.
The School of Industrial Engineering is one of the longest‐established IE Schools in Europe, with a strong presence in the international research, design, and education community, especially in the field of Operations Management and Operations Research. The graduate programs (MSc, PDEng, and PhD) in Operations Management & Logistics attract top‐level candidates from all over the world. The research and education at the OPAC group of the School of Industrial Engineering has specific emphasis on:
– Planning and Control in Manufacturing, Services, and Supply Chains;
– Distribution Logistics;
– Maintenance and Reliability;
– Finance and Accounting, oriented towards operational processes.
We are particularly interested in candidates having solid background in stochastic modeling and optimization. Successful candidates are expected to work with Dr. Tugce Martagan on modeling and optimization of the pharmaceutical manufacturing systems and their supply chains. The position is part of the recently funded European Union (EU) project “Optimal Decision Making under Uncertainty in Biomanufacturing” and will involve close collaboration with pharmaceutical companies in the Netherlands. The project team consists of Dr. Tugce Martagan, Prof. Dr. Geert‐Jan van Houtum and
Prof. Dr. Ivo Adan.
Applicants should have completed (or be close to completion of) a Master’s degree in operations research, industrial engineering, operations management, applied mathematics, statistics, or a comparable domain with solid background in (stochastic) quantitative research methods. Fluency in
English is required. The candidate should be interested in working in close collaboration with industry partners. The expected start date is September 1, 2017 (earlier start date is possible). The appointment is for four years, subject to satisfactory performance.
Conditions of employment
– a challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university;
– a PhD appointment for a period of 4 years with a start date of September 1, 2017 (earlier is
– gross salary of 29.740€ ‐ 39.000€ per annum (on a full‐time basis), this includes 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end of year allowance;
– broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes and excellent sports facilities).
Information about terms of employment can be obtained from the personnel department (email@example.com), phone: +31 40 247 4409. Further information about the Eindhoven University of
Technology can be found at http://www.tue.nl.
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
– A statement of purpose (2 page max) which includes a motivation of your interest in the position and an explanation of why you would fit well for the project;
– A detailed curriculum vitae;
– Name and contact information of three references;
– Proof of fluency in English (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.);
– Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate);
– Journal or conference papers (if any);
– A copy of the MSc thesis (if you have already received your MSc degree).
If you are interested, we invite you to apply as soon as possible. The screening of candidates will start immediately and will stop once the position is filled. To apply please visit:
Please note that a maximum of 5 documents of 2 MB each can be uploaded. If you have more than 5 documents you will have to combine them.
Applications by email will not be accepted. For more details about the position, please contact Tugce Martagan (firstname.lastname@example.org).