Bring your Industrial Design Engineering expertise to AkzoNobel Decorative Paints
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
About AkzoNobel Decorative Paints
Our AkzoNobel Decorative Paints business adds color to people’s lives through a full range of quality products. We supply interior and exterior paints, lacquers and varnishes to professional decorators, Sikkens Service Centres, and DIY outlets like Gamma or Karwei.
Packaging and filling team
At Decorative Paints we have a global Filling & Packaging team in Sassenheim. The team exists of 4 specialists in packaging development or industrial design engineering to grow to a best performance packaging portfolio in the paint industry.
Our packaging team develops global expertise under 3 key pillars:
1. Care for our Customers: Developing leading best practices in packaging specification and testing protocols to meet quality needs throughout the value chain;
2. Drive operational excellence: Reduce complexity of our packaging portfolio to increase efficiency at our production sites and anticipate to market requirements;
3. Growth through innovation: Developing packaging with new best standards that can be leveraged within & outside Europe to drive growth at global scale.
A future paint packaging portfolio that meets our functional quality needs
We are looking forward to welcome an enthusiastic intern who can share our passion for design engineering & packaging. A young professional who can support us to create best specifications enabling us to test our future packaging portfolio.
We offer an internship in which we would like you to uncover the customer needs throughout the lifecycle or our packaging (from sourcing till end of use) and translate these into functional specifications with support of the team.
We’d like you to contribute to the development of a solid testing protocol with a plan for implementation. Ultimately, we need to validate current or new packaging against agreed specifications, which we can progress internally or externally (with agencies or supplier testing). You will be encouraged to do this in alignment with internal stakeholders and suppliers or agencies.
You will be coached by one member of our team to co-create specification standards for our new packaging standards, and to develop an accompanying (nicely presented) testing toolbox to test our portfolio against agreed specifications. The toolbox can be seen as a best practice guideline for implementation by markets/sites.
The main activity of the internship is to support the Filling & Packaging team in all 3 pillars with main focus on quality standardization of packaging in specification & testing protocols:
- – Derive critical to quality requirements across functions throughout the lifecycle of a new packaging development
- – Develop & select the appropriate tests to validate current & new packaging against requirements.
- – To populate and compile tests into a toolbox that can be communicated to global regions for implementation
- – To recommend and validate if complaints are packaging related or due to another defect in the chain. Occasionally, you will be asked to help understand root causes in the chain.
- – To steer discussions with suppliers and close discussions where proven by own validation.
- – Conduct and support portfolio management with data analysis from regions, competitors, factories. Structure data in a comprehensive, visual manner for senior decision-makers
- – Contribute to design and visualization or communication preparation to stakeholders
- – Contribute to team webpage portal to upload best practices in packaging
- Job requirements/Candidate profile
Who can apply?
A demonstrated affinity with industrial product development or product management is a must. Packaging Technology experience is a nice to have. The internship is open for 3rd year Bachelor or Master students that are enrolled at a university (“WO”) in The Netherlands, or similar in Europe, with ability and authorizations to do an in internship in the Netherlands.
- – Are able to follow through and “get things done” with solid visually presented best practice guidance for implementation by the regions
- – Are stress resistant, and able to adapt to changing conditions and re-prioritize their tasks as needed to deliver to promise
- – Have excellent communication skills and the ability to understand and foster the interfaces with stakeholders
- – Have an open mind and curiosity to understand other cultures and promote mutual understanding
- – Are fluent in English. Additional languages (e.g. French, Dutch, Turkish, Spanish) can be of benefit.
- – Are willing to travel (<10%) and support the team on project basis; to one of our Europe & Africa Decorative Paints plants or join the team to visits to suppliers or design/test agencies.
- Application details
As part of your application, please supply CV and letter in which you motivate your application
The internship will take minimum 3 months fulltime and we encourage to extend to 6 to 12 months (parttime/fulltime). Successful interns will be considered for positions within AkzoNobel. If you would like to receive additional information, please contact Nicole van Wakeren, Global Filling & Packaging Performance Manager, telephone +31 (0)6 12629982. Nicole.email@example.com
We are looking forward to receiving your application. Please send your email to Nicole van Wakeren or apply via this link: https://www.akzonobel.com/careers/vacancies/1700048h.